Top Ad
I DIG Radio
www.idigradio.com
Listen live to the best music from around the world!
I DIG Style
www.idigstyle.com
Learn about the latest fashion styles and more...

'Toughest battle in my life' - Swiatek accepts one-month doping ban

Written by 
Published in Tennis
Thursday, 28 November 2024 06:11

World number two and five-time Grand Slam champion Iga Swiatek has accepted a one-month suspension after testing positive for a banned substance.

The 23-year-old reigning French Open champion tested positive for a heart medication, trimetazidine (TMZ), in an out-of-competition sample in August 2024, when she was world number one.

The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) accepted that it was caused by contamination of the regulated non-prescription medication melatonin, manufactured and sold in Poland, which Swiatek took for jet lag and sleep issues.

Swiatek's level of fault was therefore considered to be at the lowest end of the range for 'No Significant Fault or Negligence'.

"In the last two-and-a-half months I was subject to strict ITIA proceedings, which confirmed my innocence," she said on Instagram.

"The only positive doping test in my career, showing unbelievably low level of a banned substance I've never heard about before, put everything I've worked so hard for my entire life into question.

"Both me and my team had to deal with tremendous stress and anxiety. Now everything has been carefully explained, and with a clean slate I can go back to what I love most."

Swiatek was provisionally suspended from 12 September before successfully appealing, missing three tournaments.

The Polish player appealed the provisional suspension on 22 September, notifying an independent tribunal that the source of the positive test had been identified as a contaminated medicine manufactured in her home country.

After testing confirmed Swiatek's account, the ITIA offered her a one-month suspension which she accepted on Wednesday.

Because her provisional suspension was lifted on 4 October, Swiatek's period of ineligibility will end on 4 December 2024.

The Pole was also forced to forfeit the prize money from her run to the Cincinnati Open semi-finals, the tournament that directly followed the test.

"I admit this situation hit me hard because all my life I strived to have a career that could be an example for generations to come," added Swiatek.

"I have a sense this situation could undermine the image I've been building for years, which is why I hope you will understand I had no control over it and could do nothing to prevent this unfortunate turn of events.

"Without my supporters I am not sure I would have been able to find the strength to carry on and keep fighting. Now I have fought the toughest battle in my life, and I hope you will stay with me and keep supporting me."

In addition to her fourth French Open, Swiatek won titles in Doha, Indian Wells, Madrid and Rome in 2024.

She missed the Korea Open (16-22 September), China Open (25 September 6 October) and Wuhan Open (7-13 October - she was suspended during the entry deadline).

The ITIA did not disclose her provisional suspension because the player successfully appealed within 10 days of the notice.

ITIA chief executive Karen Moorhouse said: "Once the source of the TMZ had been established, it became clear that this was a highly unusual instance of a contaminated product, which in Poland is a regulated medicine.

"However, the product does not have the same designation globally, and the fact that a product is a regulated medication in one country cannot of itself be sufficient to avoid any level of fault. Taking into account the nature of the medication, and all the circumstances, it does place that fault at the lowest end of the scale."

Swiatek's suspension comes after men's world number one Jannik Sinner tested positive for clostebol in March.

Although the ITIA accepted there was "no fault or negligence" attached to the 23-year-old Italian, the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) has launched an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas).

The Women's Tennis Association (WTA) acknowledged the ITIA decision in a statement and offered its "full support" to Swiatek during a "difficult time".

"Iga has consistently demonstrated a strong commitment to fair play and upholding the principles of clean sport, and this unfortunate incident highlights the challenges athletes face in navigating the use of medications and supplements," added the WTA.

"The WTA remains steadfast in our support for a clean sport and the rigorous processes that protect the integrity of competition.

"We also emphasise that athletes must take every precaution to verify the safety and compliance of all products they use, as even unintentional exposure to prohibited substances can have significant consequences."

Read 79 times

Soccer

Postecoglou on VAR: Might as well let AI be ref

Postecoglou on VAR: Might as well let AI be ref

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsTottenham Hotspur manager Ange Postecoglou bemoaned the time-consum...

Parsons: USWNT's Thompson best in NWSL in '25

Parsons: USWNT's Thompson best in NWSL in '25

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsTHOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Angel City FC sporting director Mark Parso...

Maresca: My mistake nearly cost Chelsea win

Maresca: My mistake nearly cost Chelsea win

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsChelsea boss Enzo Maresca said he could have blown his side's chanc...

2026 FIFA


2028 LOS ANGELES OLYMPIC

UEFA

2024 PARIS OLYMPIC


Basketball

Nets coach on Ant scare: I have to move faster

Nets coach on Ant scare: I have to move faster

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsNEW YORK -- Brooklyn coach Jordi Fernandez took the blame for Minne...

Luka takes blame for 'unacceptable' night in loss

Luka takes blame for 'unacceptable' night in loss

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsLOS ANGELES -- Luka Doncic hit his first shot Thursday night, scori...

Baseball

Judge gets 500th extra-base hit; 3rd-fastest Yank

Judge gets 500th extra-base hit; 3rd-fastest Yank

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsNEW YORK -- Aaron Judge smiled and perhaps blushed when informed of...

Reds: 1st since 1960 to lose 3 straight by 1-0

Reds: 1st since 1960 to lose 3 straight by 1-0

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsMILWAUKEE -- The Cincinnati Reds lost 1-0 to the Milwaukee Brewers...

Sports Leagues

  • FIFA

    Fédération Internationale de Football Association
  • NBA

    National Basketball Association
  • ATP

    Association of Tennis Professionals
  • MLB

    Major League Baseball
  • ITTF

    International Table Tennis Federation
  • NFL

    Nactional Football Leagues
  • FISB

    Federation Internationale de Speedball

About Us

I Dig® is a leading global brand that makes it more enjoyable to surf the internet, conduct transactions and access, share, and create information.  Today I Dig® attracts millions of users every month.r

 

Phone: (800) 737. 6040
Fax: (800) 825 5558
Website: www.idig.com
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Affiliated