Zheng out in biggest Melbourne shock so far
Written by I Dig Sports
Zheng Qinwen admitted it was not her day as she was beaten in the Australian Open second round in the biggest shock of the tournament so far.
China's Zheng, runner-up to Aryna Sabalenka last year and the Olympic singles gold medallist, lost 7-6 (7-3) 6-3 to German veteran Laura Siegemund.
The fifth seed is the highest ranked player from either singles draw to lose so far at Melbourne Park.
Zheng was irked by two time violations during the match, one of which cost her a first serve.
She complained to the umpire that she could not see the shot clock, which tells players how long they have left to serve before the 25 second allowance runs out.
"Maybe today is not my day," Zheng, 22, said.
"There's a lot of details in the important points. I didn't do the right choice."
Soccer

Valencia GK: I won 50 bet with Vini over penalty
EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsGoalkeeper Giorgi Mamardashvili said on Saturday that he bet Viníci...

Tottenham fans protest against ownership, Levy
EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsTottenham Hotspur supporters protested the ownership of the club ah...

Follow live: Title-chasing Liverpool visit Fulham
Morgan Rogers: Aston Villa there to win against PSGAston Villa will have to suffer in the first leg...
Basketball

Queen, projected top-10 pick, to enter NBA draft
EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsDays after leading Maryland to the Sweet 16, Derik Queen decided to...

Melo, Howard in '25 Naismith Hall of Fame class
EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsCarmelo Anthony and Dwight Howard are going into the Basketball Hal...
Baseball

Are the Cardinals rebuilding or trying to win now? It's complicated
EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsWhen the rain finally lifted after a 90-minute delay and the St. Lo...

Manfred: Torpedo bats 'absolutely good' for MLB
EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsMajor League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred says the torpedo bat...