Top Ad
I DIG Radio
www.idigradio.com
Listen live to the best music from around the world!
I DIG Style
www.idigstyle.com
Learn about the latest fashion styles and more...

ICC bans Bangladesh's Shohely Akhter for five years on corruption charges

Written by 
Published in Cricket
Tuesday, 11 February 2025 05:52
Bangladesh offspinner Shohely Akhter has become the first female cricketer to be banned for corruption. Akhter, who has played two ODIs and 13 T20Is, was found guilty of attempting to fix, offering a bribe and failing to disclose full details of an approach to the ICC's Anti-Corruption Code (ACU), as well as obstructing the investigation.

She has been banned for five years from all cricket after she admitted breaching five provisions of the anti-corruption code.

The charges against her centre around an approach she made to a Bangladesh cricketer during the 2023 Women's T20 World held in South Africa. Akhter, 36, was not part of the Bangladesh playing squad for that World Cup, having last played in October 2022.

The ACU's investigation focused on Shohely's conversation on Facebook Messenger with the cricketer on February 14, 2023. It was the day of the T20 World Cup match between Bangladesh and Australia. She made an offer of 2 million Bangladeshi Taka (USD 16,400 approx.) to the player to get out hit wicket during the match.

The player who was approached by Akhter reported the matter to the ACU immediately, providing all the voice notes from Shohely, who had deleted those files on her devices.

When interviewed by the ACU, Shohely confirmed that she did send the voice messages to the player but initially claimed that "she only did so in order to show her friend that members of the Bangladesh team were not involved in fixing, not because she was genuinely making a corrupt approach".

In her first interview with the ACU, Akhter showed the ACU screenshots which she claimed were a conversation between her and a friend about the "challenge". She said that these messages had been exchanged prior to February 14, when she contacted the Bangladesh player. The ACU however confirmed that those files were created after February 14 by "reviewing underlying metadata for the messages".

In deciding on the length of her ban, the ICC said it had considered the circumstances of the case, "including giving Ms Akther credit for agreeing an outcome that avoids the need for a hearing and so saves considerable time and money for use elsewhere in the fight against corruption, and has considered relevant precedents.

"The ICC therefore considers that a period of ineligibility of five (5) years is reasonable and proportionate. Ms Akhter has agreed to this sanction. As such, a period of ineligibility of five (5) years is imposed."

As such, neither Akhter nor the ICC has any right of appeal against this decision.

The ACU which oversees all senior international cricket, does not make public information on investigations that do not lead to charges, but it is believed that a small number of investigations around women's events have taken place in the past. This, however, is believed to be the first time an investigation of an attempt to corrupt at a women's event has reached a conclusion with charges.

Read 49 times

Soccer

UEFA boss: 64-team World Cup plan 'a bad idea'

UEFA boss: 64-team World Cup plan 'a bad idea'

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsA push to expand the men's 2030 World Cup to 64 teams is "a bad ide...

Arsenal CB Gabriel's season over, surgery due

Arsenal CB Gabriel's season over, surgery due

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsArsenal defender Gabriel Magalhães will requires surgery on his ham...

Barça win appeal, Olmo, Víctor cleared to play

Barça win appeal, Olmo, Víctor cleared to play

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsSpain's sports ministry (CSD) have ruled that Dani Olmo and Pau Víc...

2026 FIFA


2028 LOS ANGELES OLYMPIC

UEFA

2024 PARIS OLYMPIC


Basketball

Sources: Maxey expected to miss rest of season

Sources: Maxey expected to miss rest of season

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsPhiladelphia 76ers star Tyrese Maxey is expected to be ruled out fo...

Sources: Morant, Hield warned over finger guns

Sources: Morant, Hield warned over finger guns

EmailPrintMemphis Grizzlies guard Ja Morant and Golden State Warriors guard Buddy Hield were both is...

Baseball

O's expect Henderson to return Friday vs. Royals

O's expect Henderson to return Friday vs. Royals

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsBALTIMORE -- Star shortstop Gunnar Henderson is expected to return...

St. Pete to spend $22.5M to fix Tropicana Field

St. Pete to spend $22.5M to fix Tropicana Field

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The once and possibly future home of the Ta...

Sports Leagues

  • FIFA

    Fédération Internationale de Football Association
  • NBA

    National Basketball Association
  • ATP

    Association of Tennis Professionals
  • MLB

    Major League Baseball
  • ITTF

    International Table Tennis Federation
  • NFL

    Nactional Football Leagues
  • FISB

    Federation Internationale de Speedball

About Us

I Dig® is a leading global brand that makes it more enjoyable to surf the internet, conduct transactions and access, share, and create information.  Today I Dig® attracts millions of users every month.r

 

Phone: (800) 737. 6040
Fax: (800) 825 5558
Website: www.idig.com
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Affiliated