Top Ad
I DIG Radio
www.idigradio.com
Listen live to the best music from around the world!
I DIG Style
www.idigstyle.com
Learn about the latest fashion styles and more...

Mets to shut down Montas (lat) for 6-8 weeks

Written by 
Published in Baseball
Monday, 17 February 2025 12:14

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- New York Mets right-hander Frankie Montas was diagnosed with a high-grade lat strain and will be shut down for six to eight weeks, manager Carlos Mendoza announced Monday.

Montas, who was en route to New York on Monday to receive a platelet-rich plasma injection to expedite the healing, began experiencing discomfort after his first side session of spring training last week. Given the shutdown timetable and the required buildup after not throwing for at least six weeks, he is expected to miss a significant chunk of the season.

Despite the setback, Mendoza said the club still plans to deploy a six-man rotation.

"We got options," Mendoza said. "We got depth. It's still too early."

Montas, 31, signed a two-year, $34 million contract with the Mets in December after posting a 4.84 ERA in 30 starts for the Cincinnati Reds and Milwaukee Brewers last season. Injuries had plagued him previously; a shoulder injury limited him to 19 starts in 2022 and to one outing in 2023.

Without Montas, veterans Paul Blackburn, Griffin Canning and Tylor Megill will be among the pitchers competing for the final two spots in the six-man rotation to begin the season.

"There's always a lot in here," Mendoza said. "And we've been talking about it the whole offseason: We know that in order for us to get 162-plus, we need eight to 10 guys. And here we are. There's nothing new for us. Guys will step up. Guys will get opportunities. And we feel good with the options we have."

Read 52 times

Soccer

UEFA boss: 64-team World Cup plan 'a bad idea'

UEFA boss: 64-team World Cup plan 'a bad idea'

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsA push to expand the men's 2030 World Cup to 64 teams is "a bad ide...

Arsenal CB Gabriel's season over, surgery due

Arsenal CB Gabriel's season over, surgery due

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsArsenal defender Gabriel Magalhães will requires surgery on his ham...

Barça win appeal, Olmo, Víctor cleared to play

Barça win appeal, Olmo, Víctor cleared to play

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsSpain's sports ministry (CSD) have ruled that Dani Olmo and Pau Víc...

2026 FIFA


2028 LOS ANGELES OLYMPIC

UEFA

2024 PARIS OLYMPIC


Basketball

Sources: Maxey expected to miss rest of season

Sources: Maxey expected to miss rest of season

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsPhiladelphia 76ers star Tyrese Maxey is expected to be ruled out fo...

Sources: Morant, Hield warned over finger guns

Sources: Morant, Hield warned over finger guns

EmailPrintMemphis Grizzlies guard Ja Morant and Golden State Warriors guard Buddy Hield were both is...

Baseball

O's expect Henderson to return Friday vs. Royals

O's expect Henderson to return Friday vs. Royals

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsBALTIMORE -- Star shortstop Gunnar Henderson is expected to return...

St. Pete to spend $22.5M to fix Tropicana Field

St. Pete to spend $22.5M to fix Tropicana Field

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The once and possibly future home of the Ta...

Sports Leagues

  • FIFA

    Fédération Internationale de Football Association
  • NBA

    National Basketball Association
  • ATP

    Association of Tennis Professionals
  • MLB

    Major League Baseball
  • ITTF

    International Table Tennis Federation
  • NFL

    Nactional Football Leagues
  • FISB

    Federation Internationale de Speedball

About Us

I Dig® is a leading global brand that makes it more enjoyable to surf the internet, conduct transactions and access, share, and create information.  Today I Dig® attracts millions of users every month.r

 

Phone: (800) 737. 6040
Fax: (800) 825 5558
Website: www.idig.com
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Affiliated