Top Ad
I DIG Radio
www.idigradio.com
Listen live to the best music from around the world!
I DIG Style
www.idigstyle.com
Learn about the latest fashion styles and more...

Worcester Warriors set for Championship return

Written by 
Published in Rugby
Thursday, 03 April 2025 06:15

Last year the RFU's Tier 2 Board ran an open tender process to the whole game for any club, college or university to join the Championship - the level below the Premiership - for the 2025-26 season if they could meet the league's minimum operating standards and growth strategy.

Worcester were admitted on a majority decision, but the Tier 2 Board said Wasps and London Irish were not in a position at the end of last year to meet the minimum criteria.

Approval means Worcester will be admitted alongside the winners of the National League 1 division, currently being led by Richmond.

Richmond were the first professional club in England after the game went open in 1995 but when they went bust in 1999, they were relegated to the bottom of the league pyramid and have worked their way up since.

Warriors owner Holland said: "Had we opted to restart at the bottom of the rugby pyramid, as others have before us, the obligation to settle rugby creditors would have been removed.

"After careful consideration we chose to make the application to the new league under the name Worcester Warriors, a club founded in 1871, to preserve its history and legacy.

"As a result, even though we applied as a new non-league entrant, we are required to settle rugby creditors as defined by the RFU Regulation 5. We acknowledge and fully own this process and the responsibility that comes with it.

"We have taken full responsibility for addressing these inherited obligations."

Businessman Holland also owns the intellectual property for Wasps where he was a non-executive director. Should they return to the league structure he would have to relinquish ownership of one club.

It is understood the Warriors, who plan to have a new logo and resurfaced artificial pitch, have been putting people and processes in place in order to be ready for the start of next season in the Championship.

Thursday's announcement comes one week after RFU chief executive Bill Sweeney survived a vote of no confidence at a special general meeting.

The meeting was called in part by vociferous Championship clubs who have been unhappy at funding cuts from the game's organising body in England.

In a statement, Simon Gillham, Tier 2 Board chairman, said there was "still a great deal still to achieve".

He added: "The vision for this league is really ambitious and so much work and collaboration has taken place over nearly two years to establish a path towards a vibrant and self-sustaining competition.

"Today marks a significant step forward with Worcester Warriors returning to professional rugby under new ownership in a heartland for our sport, with the club's new owners having provided a financial security guarantee, held by the RFU, as well as committing to paying off debts left by the previous owners to rugby creditors."

Plans for the Championship's full competition structure are still to be announced.

With no relegation from the Championship into National League 1 this season, it means only two teams, instead of the usual three, will be relegated from National 1.

Read 7 times

Soccer

Parsons: USWNT's Thompson best in NWSL in '25

Parsons: USWNT's Thompson best in NWSL in '25

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsTHOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Angel City FC sporting director Mark Parso...

Maresca: My mistake nearly cost Chelsea win

Maresca: My mistake nearly cost Chelsea win

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsChelsea boss Enzo Maresca said he could have blown his side's chanc...

FIFA rankings: USMNT static, Canada at new high

FIFA rankings: USMNT static, Canada at new high

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsThe U.S. men's national team remained 16th in the latest FIFA ranki...

2026 FIFA


2028 LOS ANGELES OLYMPIC

UEFA

2024 PARIS OLYMPIC


Basketball

Nets coach on Ant scare: I have to move faster

Nets coach on Ant scare: I have to move faster

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsNEW YORK -- Brooklyn coach Jordi Fernandez took the blame for Minne...

Luka takes blame for 'unacceptable' night in loss

Luka takes blame for 'unacceptable' night in loss

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsLOS ANGELES -- Luka Doncic hit his first shot Thursday night, scori...

Baseball

Judge gets 500th extra-base hit; 3rd-fastest Yank

Judge gets 500th extra-base hit; 3rd-fastest Yank

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsNEW YORK -- Aaron Judge smiled and perhaps blushed when informed of...

Reds: 1st since 1960 to lose 3 straight by 1-0

Reds: 1st since 1960 to lose 3 straight by 1-0

EmailPrintOpen Extended ReactionsMILWAUKEE -- The Cincinnati Reds lost 1-0 to the Milwaukee Brewers...

Sports Leagues

  • FIFA

    Fédération Internationale de Football Association
  • NBA

    National Basketball Association
  • ATP

    Association of Tennis Professionals
  • MLB

    Major League Baseball
  • ITTF

    International Table Tennis Federation
  • NFL

    Nactional Football Leagues
  • FISB

    Federation Internationale de Speedball

About Us

I Dig® is a leading global brand that makes it more enjoyable to surf the internet, conduct transactions and access, share, and create information.  Today I Dig® attracts millions of users every month.r

 

Phone: (800) 737. 6040
Fax: (800) 825 5558
Website: www.idig.com
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Affiliated